Saturday, October 4, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Stuff to Buy - Creepy and Eerie Digital Comics

In the Sixties and Seventies, if you were into horror comics, you were into Warren Publishing's Creepy and Eerie. Magazine sized, each issue featured primarily stand-alone stories, although there were some continuing characters, like the sci-fi series Hunter in Eerie. Both books were mostly black and white and feature some amazing art from the likes of Richard Corben and Neal Adams. The stories ranged in quality over the years, but the two magazines were generally filled with good to great writing.

Back in 2008, Dark Horse Comics started releasing hardbound collected editions. Although they are beautifully produced, I was interested in adding more books to my over-whelmed bookshelves. Then, they started releasing them in digital format a few years ago. I've been buying them slowly, since they have been $20 each. Last night I was checking out DH on my iPad and saw that the price had dripped to $10! Sweet! So, I bought a few and have spent the morning reading through them and getting a bit nostalgic. Hey, when I was a kid, I'd hang around in the local drug store reading them, much to the consternation of the clerks, so cut me some slack.

Anyway, if you like horror, great art and generally good writing, you should head over to DH and buy one of the collections. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment