Sunday, October 12, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Awesome Art - Warren Publishing Part Two - Creepy

My look at Warren Publishing's great cover art continues with 10 of my favorite covers from Creepy (see here for part one). Like Eerie, Creepy was a horror comic magazine. The interior art was generally top notch (the stories were more variable in quality) but the covers were usually amazing.

Frazetta provided a great, kinetic cover with his take on Frankenstein's monster being cornered by villagers. The bats and blood red sky are nice, Gothic touches to an image that pops off the page.

This is an iconic image from Creepy. It's simple - one man and his ax - but the grim headsman is obviously waiting for the viewer. Looking at it gives you real sense of the artist (Frazetta again) breaking the fourth wall to disturbing effect.

This cover screams "high fantasy!" The bad ass on the horse and the unhappy looking goblin about to be cut in half. When I used to play Dungeons and Dragons this was one of the images stuck in my head.

Do I need to explain this one? Gruesome and colorful, with a nice "viewer participation" angle, since you know who the revenant is reaching for. You!

This is a neat mix of the sexy and grotesque. I always wondered if the monster with the banging body was a ghost, some kind of succubus or the victim of the guy standing near the cabin.

I like this because a) the idea of being walled up alive is pretty horrific and b) this is s great interpretation of one of the signature Poe images.

Okay, killer Santas are nothing new. But, Santa being strong-armed by some kid and his robot? Oh, heck yeah. When I was a kid, this was one cover that stuck with me...mostly because I really wanted to mug Santa Claus. Could you imagine having Santa's toy bag all for yourself? I could and did. Hey, I never said I was a good person.

More Frazetta! Maybe it's not so much that I like Creepy covers, I just like Frazetta covers. Hmmm...naw. Still, this is a great cover. It's ethereal and impressionistic, a unique take on Dracula, emphasizing the supernatural aspects of the character.

This covers is a favorite, mostly because it's so gross. Wait; totally because it's so gross.

This is just such a weird mash-up - wrestling flying giants, apparently in the skies of Europe during World War One - that it has always appealed to me. And, I always wondered what those pilots were thinking. Probably, "Okay, I've had enough of this war."

And there you go. Tomorrow, I'll be checking out the Warren run of Vampirella, the blood drinking vixen from Drakulon.

No comments:

Post a Comment