Saturday, October 11, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Awesome Art - Warren Publishing, Part One - Top Ten Eerie Covers

A few days ago, I mentioned that Dark Horse Comics digital versions of Creepy and Eerie magazines. Well, since it the Halloween season and since both Magazines had amazing cover art, I thought I'd post a few of my favorites. This is just the covers from Eerie. Part two will be Creepy. Part Three will be from Vampirella, Warren's other horror comic magazine.

Hey, I love zombies. So, it should be no surprise that I love this image of a horde of the undead pouring into the imagined safety of a comfortable home. It reminds me of watching the Thriller Double Feature on Channel 20 in Detroit. For the opening title of the show, they played clips from Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things backed up by Led Zepplin's "Immigrant Song." That always scared the heck out of me. Same with this cover.

Speaking of creepy, this is a nice juxtaposition of innocence and horror. Of course, we have to wonder why the kid is so non-nonchalant. Is she about open up a can of whoop ass on the unsuspecting lycanthrop?

I like the action of this cover. And, hey, you can never get too much hentai, right?

I vaguely remember seeing this cover on the news stand, but not being old enough for my parents to let me buy it. Yeah, I'm old, not ancient. Anyway, the notion of a supernatural gunslinger is neat. And this cover has a real sense of mystery about it. I want to know who this guy is and who he's having showdowns with.

Okay, killer robots. Awesome killer robots. This isn't the only cover to feature robots; but it is the best one. It's on my PS3 as the background image. It freaking rocks.

Great art by Richard Corben. Dinosaurs and primitive cave-hotties.

This is just funny as heck. A giant blonde holding a tiny ape atop the Empire State Building; incidentally, a re-occurring dream of mine, although it's me in the clutches of a giant Monica Bellucci. So, happy dream.

Do I have to explain why I like a T-Rex that just happens to bite off only the clothing of the fleeing babe? If so, you need to read my blog more often.

Okay, I don;t like spiders. But, I do like scantily clad women. So, this cover always instilled feelings of utter revulsion (enormous spider) and a little bit of arousal, because that poor chick in the web looks like she'd be really grateful to be rescued. Really grateful.

You can't have a list of Eerie covers and not have this one from Frank Frazetta. Showing the smooth, strong style that makes all of his work memorable, this one has a definite "oh shit" quality about it. I could imagine the guy thinking "sweet, treasure" and then "oh, Hell no."

And that's it. Tomorrow, we'll check out my 10 favorite Creepy covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment