Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams, RIP

It would be easy to go overboard with either praise of Robin Williams or criticism over the way he died. I will just say that Williams, starting with Mork & Mindy became part of my pop culture environment. He wasn't great in everything - for example, I can't stand Popeye on any level including his performance - but he generally was a welcome presence in a movie. Although I never saw him live, I did listen to his '79 album Reality...What A Concept about a million times and have seen video of his performances. I think he was a great impersonator and improvisational comic.

When looking at his dramatic performances many people are referencing The Dead Poets society. I never have been able to get into that movie; instead, I think he was most memorable in The Fisher King. He portrays a mentally and emotionally damaged homeless man who believes he is on a quest for the Holy Grail. His performance has is disturbed, charming and heart-felt. An odd mixture, but it works.

He was a talented man and it is unfortunate that his personal demons got the better of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment