Thursday, November 6, 2014

Star Wars VII Gets A Title

"The Force Awakens." Why was it napping? Is it because the average age of the cast is 87?

I was excited back in the Nineties when Lucas announced The Phantom Menace. I really was. After the story-telling abortion of the prequels, I have a hard time getting excited about even more Star Wars movies. And, having it directed by J.J. Abrams is not a draw for me. I'm expecting another Pepsi-and-Pop-Rocks fueled festival of lens flare, swooping cameras, and a disregard for telling any kind of interesting or engrossing story.

I'm sure the effects will be fine. They'll probably be some exciting action sequences. But after films like Super-8 and Star Trek: Into Darkness I have little confidence in Abrams delivering a film with anything other than the most cursory and cookie-cutter story and characters needed to justify a two-hour-long orgy of people running around and space-ships exploding. And I want more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment