Saturday, November 1, 2014

Potentially Disappointing News About American Horror Story

Series creator Ryan Murphy, during an interview with Entertainment Weekly revealed that all of the season of American Horror Story are interconnected.

Ugh.

I liked having each season as an independent entity, an examination of different themes and tropes in the horror genre. With Murphy's statement, does that mean there is one big universe with aliens, ghosts, witches, evil clowns and demons? does that mean we have multiple Jessica Lange's running around? Are all the Dylan McDermott's connected?

I hope this is more of a thematic statement or that there are little Easter Eggs in each season. But, that does not seem to be the case. Here's the question and answer;

So you’re saying that season four is connected to season one?
They’re all connected. We’re just beginning to tell you how they’re connected. They’re all very separate but there’s clues every season that we’re now telling you how the different worlds are intertwined.

"[A]ll very separate but...the different worlds are intertwined." What does that mean, exactly?

Oh, wait, I know what it means; it means I have to re-watch every episode and figure out how they all are inter-related. Thanks a lot, Mr. Murphy, for forcing me to watch this awesome series once again.

Seriously, I have my doubts about this. I also wonder if his statement will lead to some retconning. Did the show's creative team really think "hey, every season is interconnected" before they even knew there would be multiple seasons? Are we going to get something like the collapse of Chris Carter's X-Files "alien mythology" when it became clear that he had never fully thought out that plot-line? Not everything needs a huge meta-story; I thought the initial concept of American Horror Story was brilliant. It may turn out that the season interconnections are subtle and unimportant. It may also turn out that the ties are deep, important and well-developed, in which case, I'll be writing an article saying "Ryan Murphy is a frickin' genius!"

Right now, I'll just adopt a wary stance and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment