Saturday, March 22, 2014

Trailer Mania!

I went to see 300: Rise of an Empire yesterday. My review of that film will be up in a little bit. However, I was hit with a slew of trailers before the film and, since the coming attractions is one of my favorite parts of going to the cinema, I decided to give a run-down of what was shown.
  1. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For: I liked the original.  Visually, it was impressive, the black and white with splotches of color highlighting the unreality of the whole thing (and helping make some iffy CGI look "artsy").  And, for the most part, the stories and acting were good, although I didn't The Big Fat Kill section.  That was the one with all the super-model hookers and Miho, the pixie ninja.  The story didn't interest me.  Anyway, A Dame to Kill For looks like more of the same: pulp/noir style stories, the same black and white visuals, the same stylized filming. In other words, a film I'll be checking out in the cinema. 
  2. A Million Ways to Die in the West: Seth MacFarlane's western-comedy.  Either this will be completely awesome...or all the best stuff is in the trailer.   Definitely a Netflix viewing.
  3. Deliver Us From Evil:  This might be good, but I got an Exorcist III vibe from the trailer.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since I think Exorcist III, for all its flaws, is an interesting film.  But, it is interesting more as parts than as a sum.  Anyway, this is probably a Netflix viewing for me. 
  4. X-Men: Days of Future Past: Same blah trailer. I don not have the warm fuzzies about this movie.  I'll probably still see it in a theater; but, so far, it is not a "must-see." 
  5. Edge of Tomorrow:  Same trailer that has been out for a while, but I am still psyched to see this movie.  It seems pretty high concept - if Halo meets Groundhogs Day is high concept these days.  Anyway, I like Tom Cruise (just saw Valkyrie and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it) and the invasion scenes look they'll make an awesome FPS.   Oh, and the title of the novel it is based on...All You Need Is Kill....much better.  Definite theater visit for this one. 
  6. Transcendence:  Johnny Depp becomes Skynet.  Hey, wasn't Transcendence the name of the VR game in eXistenZ.  Well, the game the eXistenZ game was part of.  If it really was a game.  Damn you and your opaque-ish plot!  Netflix for me. 
  7. Sabotage: Generic action plus boobs plus lesbo make-out scene plus FPS action plus Arnold! Hell yeah!  Well, Hell yeah Netflix!  Also, "Clean up on aisle three"...isn't that from Threat Level Midnight?  

No comments:

Post a Comment