Sunday, March 24, 2013

Riddick Teaser - New Film Looking Pretty Awesome

First off, I love me some Riddick movies. I thought Pitch Black was a great movie. Fast paced, inventive, with nice little touches that point to a larger universe (e.g., David Keith and charges going to New Mecca on the Hadj). The monsters are neat - although the eco-system makes no sense. That's why it's called "suspension of disbelief" right? And Vin Diesel makes a kick-butt anti-hero.

The sequel - The Chronicles of Riddick - is more problematic. The story was a mess, a series of individually interesting and visually impressive set-pieces, that add up to a big mess. While I appreciate touches that set a story in the context of a larger universe, this doesn't work so well when there is nothing but "touches." It's still a "fun" movie, in the sense that I like watching it, but the sprawling - and often incoherent - story and over-acting are the exact opposite of the tightly written, well-acted original.

A teaser has been released for the next film in the series; Riddick. And it looks good. The question is...will it have the spare, energetic feel of the first film or will it be the massive, over-plotted, over-acted mess of the second? Guess I'll have to pay my 10 bucks and find out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment